July 10, 2017 by Johana Ruez
Working out is so important, not only for your health, but also for you mental health, your confidence and to look fit !
I will give you some tips to help you make your workout session or routine efficient and fun.
- Studies found that you need to walk at least 10,000 steps per day. Depending on your pace, it should be about 90 minutes or 5 miles. I know it may sound like a lot, but once you start getting used to it, you won’t realize how much you walked. Choose a nice walk, maybe by a river, on the beach, mountain trails or even in your beautiful neighborhood.
- If you work at an office, you are most likely seating all day, maybe for 8 to 10 hours. You have to know that when you are seating for long hours, you are losing muscle mass.
- Walking 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day makes you reach the aerobic level and therefore, helps you lose weight. Add 2,000 more steps to maintain and stop gaining weight.
- To help reaching the 10,000 steps, take the stairs instead of the elevators whenever it’s possible.
Find a gym mate
- Find a friend to go to the gym or to the park with. Working out with someone will add some fun and motivation !
- Naturally, when working out with someone, you will want to show what you are capable of. You don’t want to let the other one down or to look like a quitter. You’ve got this !
- You can support each other.
- You can do team sports or team exercises such as sit up & pass. You will seat in front of each other, feet against feet, do a sit up at the same time, and pass a medicine ball to each other.
Understand what matters
- Weight is just a number. It depends on various elements, including your height and your body type or morphology.
- Calculate your BMI. Divide your weight (in kilos) by your height squared (in meters). In other words:
BMI = Weight (kg) / Height (m)²
For example, my weight is 48kg and my height is 1m60. First you calculate your height squared: 1.6 X 1.6 = 2.56. So 48 / 2.56 = 18.75
- To understand what this number means, here are the BMI categories:
- < 18.5 Underweight
- 18.5 to 24.9 Normal Weight
- 25 to 29.9 Overweight
- > 30 Obesity
- No matter what, you need to focus on the way you feel. These are just numbers. Loving your body is what’s most important !
Listen to your heart rate
- First you will need to calculate your heart rate. Count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply it by 6 to find your beats per minute. Most people have a resting rate between 60 and 100, but it varies depending on the fitness level of the person.
- Calculate your age-predicted maximum beats per minute. To do so, substract your age to 220.
- Fat burning will occur between 50 to 75 percent of that number.
- To improve your aerobic endurance, your heart rate should be between 75 and 85 percent of your age-predicted maximum beats per minute.
- Your limit point ranges from 85 to 90 percent.
Work out in the morning
- By working out in the morning, you get the session out of the way.
- You have more energy to spend in the morning and will feel even more energetic after your workout session, as exercises stimulate the body.
- Working out increases the production of endorphines in the body. Therefore, you will be more productive after your session. At the beginning you may feel tired but as you go, you will feel better and better than ever.
- Always start your workout routine with a 15 minute warm up. It can be on the treadmil, incline to the maximum and walk from 2.8 to 3.2 mph; or you may prefer to bike or row. Whatever you like best !
- Warming up increases the blood flow, therefore it brings more oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and joints.
- It will help reducing the risk of injuries.
Alright, I hope this article will motivate you to better your workout routine or even to start working out if you haven’t started yet !